Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tomatoes Years Past

Tomato plants grown in the past years.
Brandywine tomato plant grown in  a  5 gallon pot.  All this on two vines.
Big Red one is one tomato that weighed 3 1/4 pounds. his name was Hulk.

More Brandywine  grown in the ground.  So heavy with fruit the vines insisted on dragging the ground.
More Brandywine Tomatoes
Sweet Million Cherry Tomato




tomatoes grown in 5 gallon grow bags.   1st crop I ever grew for produce sales.   If I can
do this in a 5 gallon grow bag------YOU can do this in the ground soil.
Those same plants were lowered twice---and they grew out the top of the greenhouse frame
that was 8 feet tall.
tomato plants-------Big Beef  in 5 gallon pots.



more toms in 5 gallon grow bags
The green house   Ghost (orb)




One single  Sweet Million Cherry tomato cluster.


 25 gallon pot----One plant---pruned to have one vine every 6 inches around the pot/cage



2010

2
Big Beef


B

Brandywine



2011  Sweet Million Cherry

2011   Tommy Toe cherry=   my least favorite flavor......  but is a.beautiful plant!

Big Beef







4 comments:

  1. This is marvelous. Were you happy with the results of a grow bag as opposed to in ground? What was your source for grow bags, do you think they are available in most areas? What did you fill the grow bags with, a mix similar to your current raised beds?
    Furbalsmom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mix in the grow bags was
    half commercial compost and
    half peat moss.
    I had to use commerical fertilizer.
    I bought the grow bags from a wholesale company that sells they in bulk quantities. I do not know where to get then in small quantities.
    http://www.hydro-gardens.com
    I normally buy them 500 at a time.
    I like tomatoes grown in the ground better because I grow so many and I don't have to deal with the containers so much----but then again I will have to worry about tomato problems by growing them in the same beds over and over.
    But at least the ground is not permanent either. If I need to give the soil beds a rest for a long while, I can always use containers or grow bags on top of the bed areas. I have noticed that The deeper my ground soil is loosened and amended the bigger and better the plants are. You might be able to grow one single vine tomato plant in a 6 inch deep bed-----but the deeper it is the better they grow.
    I will try to locate a company that sells the grow bags in small quantities to the home gardener.
    Happy Gardening
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I am in love with these pulpy tomotoes. I wish I could eat one of them fresh. :)
    The pics are also absolutely magnificent with such cool colors of nature.
    I came across your blog on internet and wondered why I haven't visited it before. I am a hobby gardener myself and love to see my plants grow and produce nice flowers.

    I am an instant follower and bookmarked the blog instantly.
    On my first visit to the blog I would like to share something. I also recently found a magnificent resource which gives us a wonderful opportunity to organize seeds easily and conveniently. I am sure that you and other blog followers will love it too!
    I hope to learn more about gardening from you and other fellows here.
    Best Regards
    Jack

    ReplyDelete